Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Why Tying Knots...

I thought I might explain the title of our blog due to a few questions on it and just b/c the answer is kinda funny.

Back in June when Matt started his residency his time spent quickly left the Spann house hold and transferred over to the hospital. That left me with extra time on my hands...so, I've been getting involved with a few organizations, a few new friends, and of course spending more QT with my sweet Elle. I met my friend Meredith about a year ago through a very random mutual friend Emily who I met while living in Colorado in college. Her husband is a year ahead of Matt in the same program so they have offered us much needed advice and friendship! Meredith was very sweet to teach me how to crochet...yes, I said crochet...as in what 80 year olds do.

Meredith has been making these beautiful baby blankets and I wanted to learn. The day she taught me was hilarious - I was so tense trying to hold the yarn and needle right that my toes were cramping! And I was kind of allergic to her cat so I was trying to NOT sneeze and start my first baby blanket at the same time, it was a funny picture. Anyway, after a few months of practice I have actually gotten pretty good and I'm completely addicted. Mere kept telling me that it was relaxing and sort of therapeutic - well, not at first, but now it is for sure.

So, now at night time when I'm home w/ Elle and Matt's working late I'm usually watching TV and crocheting, so that's my part of the "tying knots"...

Matt's part started around mid July when he realized that he really needed to be working on tying his own knots while he was at home so that it would help him at the hospital. He has this weird looking board thing that he uses to practice on. So, at nights he's tying knots to practice and get better in the OR and I'm tying knots next to him making baby blankets for all of my pregnant friends! Its actually a pretty funny picture - if Elle could take a picture of it I would post one, but she hasn't learned that trick just yet.

5 comments:

Em said...

and she has no aposible thumbs!!! haha :) great bloggin sis

The Downs family said...

Yes, the baby blankets are FABULOUS!!! Avery loves hers! :-) I love they tying knots title and the story behind it is even better! miss you

smithec said...

aawwww it just makes me smile every time i think of it that you and mere are friends. you'll have to post a pic soon of one of your knotty projects!! miss you, friend!

Jenny and Zack said...

I agree, the baby blankets are wonderful!! I love Conner's and am so thankful to our sweet Ash for loving him and making him one! YOU ARE THE BEST!!!

Meredith said...

Haha...that's hilarious! You're so creative! I'm glad I've been able to pass down my "grandma" skills to you :-) Just remember, you taught me how to do the border.